Sunday, August 2, 2009

Annie Leibovitz is Broke??


Photo by Toni Cenicola

Annie Leibovitz is apparently in trouble...she may possibly lose her homes and the rights to her works. She was recently sued on July 29th for nonpayment of a $24 million dollar loan. Ms. Leibovitz took out the loan last year and used her homes, negatives, and the rights to her photographs as collateral.

All news reports that I have read have no comments from Ms. Leibovitz herself, so I do not have her side of the story to state here. Many do not seem terribly surprised that she got herself into such a financial state of affairs, because, Annie has spent notoriously large amounts of money on incredibly extravagant photo shoots. Adding more coals to the fire is the terrible losses she has experienced in recent years, including the deaths of both her father and partner Susan Sontag within months of each other in 2005.

As a result of her financial problems, Ms. Leiboveitz may loose the reproduction rights of her photography which she has guarded very closely over the years, as well as the negatives to many of her most legendary works. She is probably best known for her work with Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, and advertising campaigns for American Express, Gap, the Milk Board, and most recently Louis Vuitton.

For links to some of her most famous works, such as Demi Moore pregnant, Whoopi Goldberg in a tub of milk, and John Lennon with Yoko Ono, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Leibovitz

May inspiration and creativity be with you!

12 comments:

  1. I was surprised about his as well! I've never seen her as overly extravagant in her personal look or style, so it seems hard to belieive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I hope she doesn't lose her rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a remarkable photographer. It would be sad to see her lose the rights to her work. I can't imagine how painful that would be.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saturday Sharefest! What a refreshing blog. After taking an art appreciation class a couple of year ago I've come to appreciate are a little me. Speaking of chicago, I went a few years ago a saw some of the beautiful architecture (sp) there. Sadly, I didn't get to see the house of Frank Llyod Wright. Nice blog. That's sad about Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY SATURDAY SHAREFEST!! What an amazing blog! I look forward to reading more.

    I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,

    Teresa <><

    http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by the other day. I like this post and learned a few things. Really Demi is PG. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOPS I was stopping by and noticed my comment didn't make sense. What I meant to say was I appreciate art a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so very sad for such an amazing artist. Just when you think you have problems, there is someone like this.

    xo,
    Christina
    ps. Thanks for your kind note on my blog. Your blog is extremely interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. isn't it crazy that she could be broke for what she charges for photos? thx for stopping by. I love flats, esp now that I'm chasing after a 17 month old. thanks for the idea. i'll get some posts up of that in the future. have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Annie Levowitz and I'm shocked that she's broke, if true. How could that possibly be true??? Her work is legendary among the fashion crowd and beyond. Hmm.

    xo

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe my previous comment didn't work- I think it got mixed with somebody elses. Anyways, I'm sad to hear Annie L. is broke. How could that happen? She's so talented and maybe she wasn't paying attention to the biz side of things...

    Love the site!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Blog Awards

Some awards this blog has received thanks to some nice folks!

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/24/2009 by Nanny Dee (http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com/)