Friday, May 15, 2009

35,000 Year Old Venus Figure Found


This tiny statuette dubbed the Venus of Hohle Fels was uncovered in September in a cave in southwestern Germany, near Ulm and the Danube headwaters. The small figurine of a woman is exciting the world of art and archaeology because previously the Paleolithic era only has only shown us examples of art depicting drawings being of mammoths, horses, and other animals. The figure is approximately 2.5 inches long and carved from ivory.

Other images of voluptuous female figures with pronounced genitals have been found and much debated amongst scholars, such as the Venus of Willendorf, c.26,000 BCE, carved limestone (above); but, none as old as this newest figurine that is being dated approximately c.33,000 BCE. Prominent scholars in the field, like Dr. Mellars, are concluding that these current finds (like the Venus of Hohle Fels) will rapidly change our point of view on the history of art and European civilizations. In the NY Times, he is quoted as saying that these sites "must be seen as the birthplace of true sculpture in the European — maybe global — artistic tradition.”

For more on this, I suggest reading the Times article, checking out images, and even some video here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/science/14venus.html.

May inspiration and creativity be with you!

4 comments:

  1. Very informative I had not heard about this I love ancient art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post, I will follow this site too. I can't vote on the favs art period, as I love Renaissance and Baroque, Michelangelo, Donatello and so on to Bernini, but there are many other periods I love also, right through to impressionists, post impressionism and experimental art. I like many moderns also, like Kandinski and Modigliani. I guess I'm more into actual artists than periods. I like Hogarth and Blake and also Constable and have just been to a Turner exhibition a couple of months ago - marvellous. I spent some time in Europe when I was younger, but suffered a bit of Art overload, I want to go back now I'm older. I want to see it all again, I like the inspiration, having said all that I am interested in any period of history, I will visit nyt now. Great site I love it, please post more. Ursula
    http://www.usedbooks-online.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah picking a favorite period for me is like picking a favorite child (lucky for me I only have 1 child though lol)! I just wanted a nice little simple pole at the top though that wouldn't be overwhelming for people unfamiliar with art or afraid of the term "Art." I run into that so often when I teach art appreciation, and it usually ends the same: people come in saying "I am not an artsy person" and end up loving it and being one of the best in the class lol!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is FABULOUS! Count me in as a faithful follower. Thank you much.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Awards

Some awards this blog has received thanks to some nice folks!

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/24/2009 by Nanny Dee (http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com/)