Monday, May 18, 2009

A Newly Found Michelangelo??


The Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth has recently acquired what may possibly be the first known painting by Michelangelo (above), The Temptation of Saint Anthony. The painting is currently being dated c.1478, measures approximately 18 x 13 inches, and is estimated to have cost the museum about $6 million (this is speculation, the museum did not confirm the purchase price). The subject of the painting was a common theme in Northern Renaissance art but not seen often in Italian art of the period. It bears a striking resemblance to a print of the same subject created by German artists Martin Schongauer, c.1480 (shown below). It was not terribly uncommon for artists of the period to see each others work locally, but very few artists crossed the alps frequently. Michelangelo (Italian) and Albrecht Durer (German) were two of the few artists who did so with documentary evidence. So, although it is possible for Michelangelo to have seen Schongauer's work, especially since it was a print and therefore more widely circulated and likely than him having seen a single painting, it does not seem all that probable that the painting in question is a work by Michelangelo.


According to the New York Times, renowned scholar and Michelangelo expert Michael Hirst "said last year that he did not believe the work was by the artist (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/arts/design/13pain.html).  "I have personally read many articles and books by Mr. Hirst and tend to agree with his opinion. While Michelangelo was incredibly adept at absorbing the styles of other artists, this does not seem to be a work of his hand. Of course x-rays and infra-red reflectography will likely be done over the next few years and scholars will surely be abuzz about the findings.


After having studied the history of art for over 11 years, and specializing in Northern Renaissance Art as my primary area and Italian Renaissance Art as my secondary area, I must say my eye tells me this is the work of a northern artist, possibly perhaps a follower or student of Schongauer himself. This of course is only a "gut feeling," as I have not yet had the opportunity to conduct any formal research related to this work. For now at least it poses an interesting question about the likelihood of Michelangelo having seen a Northern Renaissance artist's work so early in his life and career. I will be sure to follow up on this if any more of the story which, unfolding over time, provides more intriguing evidence either proving or refuting my theory.

May inspiration and creativity be with you!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog on my SITS day! What a cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask on what they base the theory that it is an early Michelangelo? I don't know much about it, but I love his work and this just doesn't appear powerful enough to me, does that make sense? Please keep posting. I've saved both works to have a closer look. Cheers Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm back. I've just been reading about it, wouldn't it be great to be able to see the brush work up close, a thing we miss when viewing poor prints or online. I'm going to keep my eye out for a good print or book that includes it. Cheers again Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you follow the NY Times link, they do include an image of the x-ray, but there is no substitute for in person. Some works that I looked at for years were completely different in person than they were in books. Especially when you get to see things in a conservation lab, which I have been fortunate to do for a few works while doing research. Sometimes, scholars want a work to be artists so badly, that unless it can be irrifutably proven otherwise, they will attribute it to the big names. It's the burden to prove them and their large purchase incorrect.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Awards

Some awards this blog has received thanks to some nice folks!

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/24/2009 by Nanny Dee (http://newenglandnanny.blogspot.com/)